“Streets are not just for motor vehicles. They are transportation pathways used for many types of vehicles, motorized or otherwise. We exist to make these streets safe for all users including bicycles, pedestrians, and motor vehicles.”
On this episode of “Simplifying Life Through Technology,” Mark and Michelle from SoundVision sit down with President Kevin Elder and Member at Large John Finney from Street Access for Everyone (SAFE).
In honor of local cyclist Earl Gillon:
Learn how Kevin and John’s passion for cycling transitioned to promoting change for road safety. Kevin and John discuss the goals and impacts of SAFE and what initiatives they are taking to provide change.
“We are your Lake Norman area advocacy group for safer streets. Streets are not only for motorized vehicles. They are transportation pathways used by cars, motorcycles, trucks, cyclists, and pedestrians. We exist to make these streets safer for all users.
Street Access for Everyone, Lake Norman (SAFE) is a 501(c)(3) born out of a need to increase the safety of cyclists and pedestrians on our local roadways. This occurred following a spate of accidents involving local cyclists, including the death of a local cyclist, and several local pedestrians.”
- “To encourage and drive advocacy for the safety of all road users.”
- “To effectively collaborate with town councils and law enforcement in the Lake Norman area.”
- “To drive positive change and improvements for our current and future road users.”
SAFE Activities and Outreach:
- “Attend Town Council Meetings.”
- “Collaborate with Law Enforcement.”
- “Collaborate with local driving school(s).”
- “Work with local town advisory boards (e.g., Cornelius Transportation Advisory Board).”
- “Clear road signs to increase visibility.”
- “Replace all “Share the Road” signs with ‘Bikes May Use Full Lane (BMUFL)’ signs.”
- “Educate all road users regarding current NCDOT laws.”
- “Collaborate with local towns regarding pedestrian and cycling safety issues.”
To learn more about SAFE:
Visit their website: https://safelkn.com/
Check out their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/safelkn/
Read More About SAFE’s Outreach: https://safelkn.com/about-us/in-the-press/
Who are Kevin and John?
Kevin Elder has an extensive background in Engineering. Kevin has been a designer for Ingersoll Rand for almost 30 years. Currently, he designs industrial air compressors for Ingersoll Rand.
John Finney has been an IT Pro for over 20 years. Currently, John works privately in Cyber Security.
More about the accident that took the life of local cyclist Earl Gillon.
Check out SoundVision’s Podcast with Kevin Elder and John Finney, as well as our other podcasts, on Apple and Spotify.